Saturday, May 19, 2007

Village Life....





Before I start with ICT information, I must digress into talking about my visit to my old village-- I found that it, too, relates to our project...

The 8 hour bus ride to Bunena quickly squelched the utopian vision I had of Uganda-- after two hours of waiting in the bus park, we finally ambled off for the dusty ride, complete with the requisite snake oil salesman peddling his wares and giving his (apparently convincing) salespitch for the first 20 minutes of the ride (he had at least 10 takers!) However, arriving in the village erased all memories of the bus ride-- I was greeted by Stella (my best friend in the village from Peace Corps) and her (now enlarged) crew of about 15 kids! It was great. The neighbors came over and we ate all of my favorites-- matooke, beans, groundnut sauce, millet, rice... the even baked a cake! (Surely a double gesture, for I had taught them how to bake cakes during my stay there.) That night, after a warm bucket bath under the stars, I slept well.

The next day was not so joyous, however. We woke to the news that a local boy had died, not 200 meters from the house, while cutting a tree that fell on him. We watched the parade of people troop to the site of the accident, including his mother, who was wailing as she walked down the path. We heard that the parish priest, upon seeing the boy, had collapsed himself, from shock at the site. It was really a bad morning. People spent the day talking about what a good boy he was, what good prospects he had in his future. "It was his day." or "It was God's will" was the familiar refrain... I heard that a lot in my two years there...

But, as is common in life, there are opposing forces. There were as many new lives in the villages as passings, and I saw so many babies that weren't there when I left. Even the boy's funeral was a surprisingly upbeat occasion, as I saw so many old faces who I wouldn't have seen otherwise... People talked about the boy's life, and the mood, although somber, was one of community and faith.

I spent my last night at the home of Kandole and Kobusingye, one of my favorite families in the village. They are a hard-working couple, both teachers, with (I think!) 7 kids, from 16 to 2 years in age. They really value education and their children, and they also visibly love each other, which is rare... I love being in their home, it is always a pleasure. However, even misfortune had overtaken this house. Recently, Kandole had been bitten by a snake, rendering his right leg useless. He recalled the incident, saying that it was so difficult to travel to the hospital just to get antibiotics from the clinic. So enters ICTs into the picture. Had Kandole been able to merely call a nurse and explain the situation, he may have saved himself and his family the time and money it took to travel to town to see the nurse. I explained my project to my friends, and everyone agreed-- if they just had someone they could CALL and talk to about their health issues, a lot of time and money would be saved.

Cell phones are ubiquitous in the village. Everyone has one, and those who don't can use the ever-present "Village Phones" located in almost every shop on a fee-per-use basis (even Stella has one). This is one of the biggest changes I see in the village-- it is so easy to connect to the outside world. Our project seeks to provide someone they can connect TO.

Two of the teammates (Ali and Amanda) have arrived in Kampala now. We are awaiting the last (Jess) tomorrow. Then our real research begins!

Until then,
Meera

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Meera, love the pictures. Keep up the postings-- I like hearing about the trip! Hope you all are doing well.

En Nica,
Elisabeth

Danielle said...

Wow, what a bitter sweet day. I can't imagine all those emotions after only your first day there. Thanks for letting us know how you're doing and what you're up to. I miss you!

Mariel said...

Mee,

Wonderful to hear about your new adventures in an old and familiar spot! Can't wait to see more photos when you get back... When is that?

Love,
Mariel